(Serves approx. 5)
1 1/2 cups bulgur
1 1/2 cups boiling water
2 cups green bell peppers (red bell peppers diced)
3/4 cup mushroom (sliced)
3/4 cup onion (chopped)
2 tbsps butter
2 tsps soy sauce (tamari)
2 tsps sherry vinegar and smidge of sugar and lemon juice (to make it taste like sherry) OR grape juice and splash of vinegar
1/2 tsp marjoram
3/4 cup cottage cheese (ricotta)
1/2 cup feta cheese (crumbled)
2 eggs (beaten)
1) Soak bulgur in boiling water during prep time (for at least 15 minutes).
2) Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
3) Grease small casserole dish with 1/2 tablespoons of butter.
4) Chop onions, peppers, and mushrooms (or Cuisinart).
5) On medium heat, saute remaining butter and chopped onions until soft. Stir in mushrooms and peppers, and heat through (3-6 minutes).
6) Add tamari, “sherry” (vinegar or juice option), marjoram and salt and pepper (to taste), then remove from heat (try to allow some of the water to cook down).
7) In a small bowl, mix cheeses and beaten egg together.
8) Spread bulgur evenly in pan. Cover with pepper mixture, then cheese mixture and dust with paprika.
9) Bake 35 minutes at 350, uncovered. Then put broil on and leave uncovered for 5-10 minutes, until cheese browns.
From (though adapted); Moosewood Cookbook (old school version).
–Prepared with our help by Charlotte on January 15