– 12 cups brown rice (cooked) (we used to boxes of Trader Joe’s frozen)
– 9 cups wild rice (cooked) (3 packages of TJ’s vac-sealed)
– 1.5 cups of raisins, chopped
– 3lb bag of apples, cored, peeled and chopped
– 3 large onions, chopped
– 29oz can of pumpkin puree
– About 2 lbs of peeled, chopped butternut squash
– 14 oz bag of walnut pieces and halves
– Balsamic vinegar, apple juice, salt, and nutmeg
Set chopped raisins to soften over low heat in balsamic vinegar. Roast walnuts (until crisp) and butternut squash (until soft). Sautee onions until clear and apples until soft. Toss all four into bowl.
Sautee brown rice and pumpkin puree until puree starts to cook into rice. In another skillet, cook wild rice with apple juice (about a cup) and the softened raisins until most liquid absorbs or evaporates. Mix rice into apples n’ squash. Season liberally with nutmeg and salt. Serve warm.
–Prepared by Richard at St. Lydia’s on October 24